Friday, September 12, 2014

Are Endings Of Books More Important Than The Rest?

BOOKISH DISCUSSIONS

When reading a book, the ending can sometimes make or break the book. For me, it's what I remember most. I may not remember what Amy and Nick from Gone Girl were fighting about at the beginning of the book, but I sure remember the ending. Endings are the last thing we read and usually what sticks with us the most. So are they more important?

To me, an ending can take off a whole star or add a whole star if it's really thought out and ends in a great way. A few weeks about I read We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. Truthfully, the whole book was going to be 2 stars for me. I wasn't that interested in it and I felt like I was lied to about it. But that ending. The ending saved the book for me. It turned out to be a 3 star book. I've also read books that I really liked and it would probably be a 4 or 5 star rating but the ending was disappointing, rushed, or not well thought out and the rating shoots down to a 3 star or 4 star.

Basically, endings are super important to me. Should they be, though? I think, personally, since I read a lot of mysteries it is okay that endings are important to me. If a book takes 300 pages to set up this awesome story about who the killer is and then just says "oh and this is who it is" then it'll ruin the whole book to me. I expect books, especially books where there is going to be a big twist in the end, to have a good ending.

I'm a little more lenient with romance and YA because I read contemporary. At the beginning of the book, we know that at the end they will be living happily ever after. For contemporary, I expect the middle to be better than the rest. I can handle a slow-ish start and a fast or slow ending with contemporary as long as the middle is spectacular.

So endings, important or just another part of the book? Share your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my content and respond to it! I will get back to you as soon as I can. Happy reading!